Friday, June 20, 2008

2007 Old Banzhang Arbor Pu-erh Tea (Year of Green Puerh)

Yunnan Pu-erh Tea (老班章乔木生饼)
Year of Green Puerh tasting kit - Puerhshop



Puerhshop description:

This cake is made by using 2007 Spring materials. The naturely tea leaves with large portion of tips and buds are plucked, panned and kneaded, sun-dried in an open field, and then steamed, finally compressed into a fine tea cake all by hand.

You might say, another 'Old Banzhang', also 'Arbor' (Qiao Mu)? It cannt be good if it sells at such a low price! Our take on this cake is that it was mis-labeled and exaggerated by a small tea factory. For its price, it is truly a bargain, considering our sinking dollar and uprising inflation. A tea is a tea, how bad it can get. You may even like it.

  • Green Pu-erh Tea
  • Vintage: 2007 unfermented or raw
  • Medium class
  • Loose tea leaves
  • Caffeine: Moderate
  • Manufactured by: Yunnan Shiyuan Tea Factory
  • Model: Old Banzhang Arbor - 4368

My thoughts:

Boiling Rinse 10sec X 2 then waited 60sec
1st Infusion - 10sec
2nd Infusion - 15sec
3rd Infusion - 10sec
4th Infusion - 30sec


The scent of the wet leaves had a floral/honey mixture. This time I did get a hint of what I thought was melon.

There was some bitterness with this tea. Tasted like a TKY x 3, with a less buttery taste. Nice and smooth flowing through my mouth. The aftertaste was the usual, young sheng bitter but nice.

The color was a nice golden amber as you can see in the picture.

Qi = There was slight tingling and zoning out, with a warmth sensation in my chest. Slight perspiration.

This was a nice experience in whole. Put on some relaxing music and sip this stuff and you will be mellowed out.

This cake is available now for $11.20 from the Puershop. Not a bad deal, I think I might have to pick this one up.

Rating: 7.5/10


1 comment:

Salsero said...

I've only had one session with this sheng so far. I thought the first infusion was very nice, but it seemed to lose vigor rather than gaining in succeeding infusions. I did go 7 rounds, however. I'm wondering if I should have used a little more leaf maybe. I did 5.00 gr in 120 ml, no rinse, 13s, 20s, 30s, 40s, 1m, 90s, 3m. Must try it again soon.

Thanks for the nice review.